Here is the vegan bean version of this year’s Best Dish at PepperFest. This dairy free, meat free delight was created by John and Angelina of Pittsboro’s famous Greek restaurant, Angelina’s Kitchen. There were actually two chilis – one beef and one bean, to please the vegans and the omnivores alike.
Read more and see the recipe for the meat chili here.
The bean chili recipe:
- 6 lbs pinto beans (need to soak overnight, rinse well the next morning) (can get pintos locally!)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- ⅓ cup crushed garlic
- 5 cups roasted and chopped green chile
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 5 cups diced or chopped tomatoes (local when available)
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (fresh or dried - local!)
- Soak pintos overnight - the next day rinse well - place in pot and cover with cold water and cook about 4 hours.
- Drain half the water - set aside
- Gently cook chopped onion in olive oil (about 15 minutes till slightly golden).
- Add garlic and cook another minute or more.
- Add green chile and some salt, pepper and cayenne - and mix for a few moments.
- Add the chopped tomato and the tomato paste - stir well
- Add the soaked and partially cooked beans with their juice.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 1 - 1.5 hours
- Adjust seasoning to your taste
Visit Angelina’s Kitchen in person, and try their other amazing dishes. Start here, at their website.