The Pittsboro Farm and Forest Trail is open, come visit us!
Along this .78 mile long trail you will experience some key components of sustainable, healthy communities:
● Preservation of forests and ecosystems: The trail passes through a typical piedmont forest and stream ecosystem. It traverses a riparian zone that is filled with aged oaks, hickory and other hardwoods.
● Local food production: You will see several local producers of sustainably grown local foods along the trail in fields, orchards and greenhouses. Owners are Fair Game Beverage Co, Piedmont Biofarm and Screech Owl Farm.
● Renewable energy: The trail skirts a working biodiesel plant and a solar array that powers the plant and is home to a solar double cropping operation.
● Water quality: The trail passes a constructed wetland that treats the property’s stormwaterand traverses a spring fed creek.
● Active Living: Trails, parks, and other outdoor recreational facilities like this one are essential community assets that support active living and healthy people.
There is still much more work to be done on the trail, so stay tuned! To keep up with trail development and activities, check out our Facebook Page!
Thanks to our Sponsors!
Related Blog Posts: