Abundance NC has evolved from educating the public about local food, renewable energy, local economy and basic sustainability to going deeper. While we still facilitate all of these, we have come to believe that the answer lies in healing ourselves. The Power of One. We can only change ourselves and inspire others.
We create events to connect people to one another. Our world is less connected than ever with technology, screens, nature deficit, busyness, denial of death, fear of people that are different than us, a culture of scarcity and a belief system that needs changing.
Abundance NC is a community hub and a group of cultural alchemists. We continue to push the edges by offering education and events that touch subjects that seem taboo, until we realize that these are the topics that heal and that mean something.
Our world is starved for real conversation about relationships, life, death, communication, equity, and our beautiful earth. Perhaps if we can heal ourselves, we will not be compelled to fill the holes with consumerism and with degrading our planet, the very thing that supports our life.
Abundance NC does a lot of things. We think they are all important. We are an incubator to non-profits that work within our mission and we put on large events and small events such as:
- Pepper Festival: educates the public, the Chefs, the food artisans about importance of sustainable agriculture and how a little fruit provides incredible nutrition, how the soil is all important, and is an economic engine to this community.
- Death Faire: educates and heals the public about green burial options, legalities, different cultures beliefs around death and dying, grief support, children’s celebration and activities, normalizes, celebrates our loves and mostly heals.
- Think Again Series: we take different topics to think about how to make a better world such as Fashion, Fiber and Farming. Textiles being our number 2 polluter in the world. Love, Sex and Relationships coming soon to delve into our number 1 favorite topic and how to make healthier decisions. Many more topics will emerge.
- Bikes and Barnyards Summer Camp: A collaboration with Triangle Bikeworks in which we offer scholarships to half the children and teach bike skills, safety, maintenance and mostly a love of the wind through their hair and confidence that will last forever. We teach harvesting, cooking, communications, collaborations, mindfulness, solar energy, honeybees and yoga.
- Pecha Kucha: A gathering in which Presenters in the community are invited to share a passion of theirs with a strict format that is 20 images on a screen and 20 seconds each. A fast paced event that gets people thinking and connected.
- Non Profit Incubation: For over a decade, Abundance has birthed projects and organizations that are also working on community, local food, renewable energy and local economy. Many have gone on to form their own 501c3. This is a very meaningful part of our work. We love to mentor and facilitate the good work of others.